Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Farewells for April 9, 2010

This edition of Friday Farewells is brought to you by our friends in the Burg: Uncle Dave and our biggest fan Cindy we appreciate your readership and more importantly your subscription fees.
It is Friday once a again so we must say so long to another week in sports.

Farewell:

Spring Training. So long meaningless games. Hello Opening Week! Major League Baseball is back after another winter of hibernation. Every team after the first week is still in the hunt for the pennant. Yes, hope springs eternal. I can’t stop crying I am so happy.

Hoosiers Sequel. Thanks to Duke and Coach K the blockbuster hit of 2010, Hoosiers the College Years has been cancelled. The film was set to feature the Butler Bulldogs and their ball boy/coach Brad Stevens, who was to be played by Zack Ephron. The real Coach Stevens (not Zack) just signed a deal to coach Butler through 2022 at which point they are excited because he will be old enough to drive. Buckets of tears, Hoosiers is my favorite movie.

Break from Football Season. College Spring Football is in full swing Arkansas went outside the box and instead of scrimmaging itself it played St. Louis who it beat 32-8. The Billikens were able to score a touchdown late and add the two point conversion. Oh wait my bad… this was a college baseball game. The game included 30 hits by the Razorbacks and was mercifully, for the fans, called after 6 ½ innings. After playing the hogs the billikens cried boo hoo hoo all the way home.

Hiatus. Tiger resumed playing golf yesterday at the Masters and I resumed writing after a few days off, both monumental breaks with huge ramifications upon the sports industry. This may prove the golf course is the only place he is comfortable and others are comfortable with him. No tears yet, but judging by the way he played the tears are about to return for the other competitors.

Fighting Sioux. University of North Dakota will change its nickname from the Fighting Sioux after a board decision and four year legal battle. The NCAA decided that the name was “hostile and offensive”. Members of the Spirit Lake Sioux however were trying to prevent the change. Fighting is such a derogatory word that I can see why the NCAA called it “hostile and offensive”. I am a member of the OBAGFWC, Organization to Ban All Go Fight Win Cheers. I think these cheers are hostile and offensive to opposing teams and their fans. They incite things like trying to beat (mega hostile) and defeat (ubber offensive) others. I think North Dakota should go with the Olive Branches, the Peace Makers (catchy slogan, “blessed are us”) or the Tying Sioux because clearly Native American names are not offensive or the Native American Tribe members wouldn’t be trying to keep them. It is those darn adjectives like fighting it did in the Illini and now the Sioux. Tears that this used up money in this economy for a four-year legal battle, wait no come to think of it that is exactly where money should go to people with law degrees. How do I sign up?

Perfect Season. After a 2-0 start I had dreams of the perfect season for my Atlanta Braves. Perfection was still possible only 160 more to go. The Cubs dashed all those hopes yesterday with a 2-0 win over the Braves. Don’t worry about me I am sure I will be okay…maybe?!? The Cubs cheated I just know it I don’t have any proof yet, but I know it happened!

If you are like Cindy and cannot get enough of Friday Farewells click here for more.

1 comment:

Trevor said...

Nicely done today guys. Nicely done.