Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Expert Advice


Last night ESPN was kind enough to help everyone with their brackets by providing a 3 hour special with a panel of 8 experts discussing and voting on who would win the NCAA tournament. For a team to move on to the next round the 8 experts would vote on who would win each matchup. The results were astounding.

This panel of experts went chalk basically the whole way. Their Elite 8 was the four one seeds and the four two seeds. The Final Four was the four one seeds. The winner was Kansas the number one overall seed beating Kentucky the number two overall seed.

Thank you captains of certainty! This just in the lower the number next to your school’s name the better you are supposed to be. This would have really helped to know last year when four number one seeds made it to the Final Four for the first time ever. Will it happen again twice in a row? No! The experts decided, what we all know, the higher seeds are better teams than the lower seeds. These guys did a fantastic job if this was a selection committee special, but it wasn’t. Telling me that Kansas and Kentucky are really good, Duke has an easy bracket, and Syracuse is a tough matchup for its opponents, is like telling me that I should eat healthier. I know those things are true, but it does not mean they are going to happen. This would have been a tremendous show for anyone who has never heard of the NCAA tournament and was looking at their bracket for the first time.  I doubt, however that any rookies tune in for the 3-hour special and if this was their purpose they could have done a 5-minute segment on SportsCenter.  If the Elite Eight is all chalk I will write an apology to the panel of morons on this show, if it isn’t I expect them to apologize for wasting my time.

1 comment:

http://www.ehow.com/members/stevemar2-articles.html said...

I watched Bracketology too since I’m really excited about the 2010 NCAA Men’s College Basketball tournament. I try to enter as many free March Madness contests online at various sites as possible. When I fill out the brackets, it’s rare for me to have two that are the same. However, if I could only fill out one bracket, I’d have Kansas, Syracuse, West Virginia, and Baylor in the Final Four. I’d put Syracuse and West Virginia in the championship game, with Syracuse winning. It should be an interesting tournament though.