Thursday, May 6, 2010

SportsLife: How do you define a great man?

I was once told that if you really want to get to know a man you go to his home.  I believe that is true.  When you visit a man at his home you get to see him interact with those he is closest.  You also are in his comfort zone and away from yours putting you at his mercy so to say.  The warmness and hospitality he shows you gives you a glimpse of his heart.

The other way to know a man is to look at his sons.  Most sons with great father's eventually become great men themselves.  Of course their are exceptions, but those are just that.  If you meet and know a young man who is terrific there is a high probability his father is likewise.  It helps to confirm that truth when the son says things like, "my father taught me that."

I recently had a close friend and teammate who lost his father.  Although I did not know his father well, I believe there was something great about this man.  I visited his home with my teammates from Southern Virginia University.  We were shown what true southern hospitality is all about.  Not only did they feed a terrific meal to a whole baseball team they then let us sleep in their home.  Warmth, kindness, and love for fellowman were experienced.  I also have spent countless hours with his son, who I would define as one of the kindest, warmest people you will ever meet.  I do not know for sure, but I am guessing he learned some of that from his father.

Nick we are sorry for you and your family's loss, but we rejoice in knowing you will be with your father again.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow Cam- that was an amazing article. Heather just informed me that you posted it. I will definately pass it along to Nick. Thanks for the article and the great friendship that we share. Can't wait to see you guys!