Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Holy Hogworts!

Some things are too good to make up. I received an email Monday outlining the events for the University for the week. I almost always immediately delete these emails; however this one had something on Monday evening that caught my eye. I had to scroll down to find out exactly what this event was. Was it a basketball game that I had forgotten about against a top 25 team or a guest speaker from the U.N.? Nope.

What grabbed my attention was the Informational Meeting for the newest student organization. Yes, it was the meeting for the Razorback Quidditch team. If you don’t know what Quidditch is don’t worry I will explain or just go to the meeting.The information below invited all to come learn about the new organization, whether or not you’re a Harry Potter fan. Quidditch is a game played by the characters in the movie Harry Potter. The announcement also informed that Quidditch is a sport. Yes it is asport PLAYED IN A MOVIE BY WIZZARDS ON FLYING BROOMS. What has the world come to? Our future depends on students whose extracurricular activities include playing a sport that requires a flying broom and a magical ball that has wings and flies around. All the more bothersome a student was willing to take the time to organize a student organization dedicated solely for this purpose. This requires getting five signatures from your peers. How do you walk up to someone and say want to sign my petition to play a sport that only exists in a series of books or movies? This group better not be recieving funding. Although maybe they should the equipment and uniforms sound expensive.

I would love to read this groups mission statement: "Helping students to reach new heights on imaginary brooms."

I would like to inform that as of yet the Razorback Quidditch team is not giving out scholarships just walk-ons and as of yet the NCAA has not sanctioned Quidditch, although I am sure it is in the works. I have heard from an unreliable source that the IOC is looking to add it for the Olympic games as soon as London or Sochi once it can be defined whether it is a Winter or Summer Sport. The reason for the debate here is because although the Movies were released to theaters in the Summer they came to DVD in the Winter. Also an alternative theory is that although there is not snow on the ground at Hogworts it is during the school year which makes it like football a fall sport. Somewhere Lombardi is rolling over in his grave that I just compared Quidditch to Football.

A quick search on the googler informed me that this was not exclusively an Arkansas problem in fact Arkansans are a little late in the game other Universities have already established teams and gone to tournaments.  Good news is the teams save a ton on travel expenses.  For views of actual quidditch tournament action just click here.  Notice they don't fly, yet.  We can only hope they realize this.

This article is dedicated to Joseph Gates, a fatihful reader or the Four6Three, and his Patronus Charm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Grief!

Brook said...

Haha I love it I totally think whoever started that is an idiot I love your blog again sadly I think that Cade would join