Monday, June 21, 2010

Graeme McDowell, The Nicest Jerk I Never Met

I have become a big fan of the second greatest holiday, Father's Day.  The best is obviously Ground Hog's Day a.k.a. the day of my birth.  This is a recent development due to my child's birth in 2007.  Since then I have had a new appreciation for my own father and have tried to make that day extra special for the both of us.  


After returning from church yesterday we had a nice dinner of fajitas with my father.  Afterwards we opened gifts and then dozed off for our holiday nap in our new snazzy polos.  Everything seemed so perfect.  I woke up to the U.S. Open and thought could this day get any better.  That is when Mr. Graeme McDowell had to go and ruin everything.  


My day was perfectly great and so was my father's until this Irish man decided to fly his dad out to Pebble Beach for Father's Day.  Then as if that wasn't enough he ruined the story of a Cinderella Frenchman winning a qualifier just to get into the tournament and then almost winning except for McDowell.  No, Graeme had to beat the Frenchman along with Tiger, Phil, and Ernie to win the U.S. Open, thus not only giving his dad a vacation, but then winning the United States Open.  Suddenly my dad's new Tom Petty compact disc did not look so hip.  In fact all the presents I have given him for the last 28 years looked ...well LAME!  


Graeme McDowell was funny, well spoken, and an all around nice guy in the interviews thus making me look worse and worse.  Congratulations Graeme on the Open and on RUINING my relationship with my father.  I hope your happy.  Now my dad wants me to win a major not a stupid CD.  Thanks a million, which is probably what you are thinking about trying to spend on your dad's gift for next year.  I knew I should have bought dad socks.

No comments: